If you are a reader of this blog you know that I never claim to completely invent my recipes, and that this blog is simply an expression of ideas that may make regular or standard issues easier or more appealing than they are from existing popular or standard recipes. But very often, if not always, the recipes begin somewhere else. This salad was created by my wife, and I don’t know if she was just feeling inspired but it is my single favorite salad of all of time and I never want another salad if it’s not this. OK, I will eat other salads, but if you ask me it will be this all the time.
- Arugula (1 bag, bunch)
- olive oil
- 2-3 shallots, carmelized
- ~4 tablespoons of sunflower seeds
- ~ 1 cup feta cheese
- Juice of half/whole lemon (to taste)
- Balsamic vinegar (to taste) (I like Fini but don’t use cheap supermarket stuff).
- Add Arugula to salad bowl, add lemon.
- Add feta cheese.
- Sprinkle sunflower seeds.
- Heat olive oil in frying pan, about four tablespoons (this is the only oil in the salad). When hot, add sliced shallots. Carmelize.
- Add contents of pan (oil, shallots) to salad bowl.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
- Toss and serve.